Is P/D/F grading an available option for Anthropology majors in Spring 2021?
Yes, P/D/F grading is an available option for Anthropology majors in Academic Year 2021. ANT majors who are considering selection of P/D/F grading for departmental courses or for independent work in Spring 2021 should read the following information carefully.
- Selection of the P/D/F grading option is done by students in Tiger Hub. For Spring 2021, the deadline to select P/D/F grading is April 6, 2021 at 11:59pm.
- Selection of P/D/F grading for departmental courses is available to ANT majors, as explained in the first FAQ under the "Grading Policy" heading on the Anthropology 2020-2021 FAQs webpage.
- Selection of P/D/F grading for Anthropology independent work was an available option in Spring 2020.
- Selection of P/D/F grading for Anthropology independent work continues to be an available option in Spring 2021.
- Selection of P/D/F grading is also available for the Anthropology Class of 2021 Senior Departmental Exam (a take-home essay that students will self-schedule during any consecutive 3-hour period on May 6-7, 2021).
- Junior Independent Work (ANT 981), Senior Thesis (ANT 984) and Senior Departmental Exam (ANT 983) grades will continue to factor into the determination of departmental honors in a student’s senior year, regardless of whether the student has selected P/D/F grade reporting or chosen the default letter-grade reporting for their transcripts.
Faculty advisers do not receive reports of students’ P/D/F selections and always assign letter grades to the independent work and departmental exam of each advisee. Regardless of a student’s P/D/F selection for transcript reporting, the Department of Anthropology will use the student’s assigned letter grade for independent work and the senior departmental exam to calculate the student’s honors index. See the formula used to calculate honors indices and additional details provided in the last paragraph on the webpage here. Determination of honors in each graduating class is based on faculty review of honors indices in the corresponding graduation year.
- P/D/F grading of departmental coursework in Academic Year 2021 may affect a student’s eligibility for departmental honors if there are insufficient letter grades to render the honors index of that student meaningful.
- Departmental courses taken in Spring 2020 and selected for P/D/F-grading in that semester can and will be excluded from the calculation of a student’s honors index. P/D/F grading of departmental coursework in Spring 2020 will not have impact on a student’s eligibility for consideration for honors.
Return to Anthropology 2020-2021 FAQs.